Facts & Figures
HMRC Key Statistics – October 2017
Enterprise Investment Scheme
- Since the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) was launched in 1993-94, 26,355 individual companies have received investment and almost £16.2 billion of funds have been raised.
- In 2015-16 3,470 companies raised a total of £1,888 million of funds under the EIS scheme. In 2014-15 3,370 companies raised £1,929 million of funds.
- In 2015-16 s 1,645 companies raising funds for the first time under the EIS scheme raised a total of £997 million of investment.
- In 2015-16 companies from the Business Services sector accounted for over £800 million of investment (more that 40% of all EIS investment).
- London and the South East accounted for the largest proportion of investment with companies registered in these regions receiving 67% of investment in 2015-16.
Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme
- In 2015-16, 2,360 companies received investment through the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme(SEIS) and £180million of funds were raised. This is very similar to 2014-15, when 2365 companies raised a total of £180 million.
- Over 1800 of these companies were raising funds under SEIS for the first time in 2015-16, representing £154million in investment.
- In 2015-16 companies from Hi-Tech and Business services sectors made up 68% of the amount of SEIS investment received.
Social Investment Tax Relief
- In 2015-16, 25 social enterprises received investment through the Social Investment Tax Relief (SITR) scheme and £2.3 million of funds were raised.
- Since SITR was launched in 2014-15, up to 2015-16, 25 social enterprises have raised funds of £2.8 million through the scheme.
- Since 2014-15, 260 SITR advance assurance request (AAR) applications have been received. In 2016-17 there were 170 applications, of which 120 (69%) were approved.
To see the full HMRC EIS and SEIS statistics report click here